UkeLand | Main Blog | Music | EP | About Me

His Master's Ukulele

Main Blog

Archives for: May 2006

Ukulele Revolution EP

Hello everyone,

My new EP is up and I am overwhelmed by the positive response. In this blog I shall describe the process of making the title track, "Ukulele Revolution".

After making "The Hypnotist", I was itching to make another reggae track and explore the possibilities of overdubbing different uke rhythms. So I rushed to the studio and choose a simple chord progression of Dm7 to G7, to do this. I played a drum beat on the keyboard and assigned a suitable drum sample to the midi. With the keyboard I then played an off beat piano rhythm and a bass line. (Only the bass ended up in the final track). I then played uke to this backing and came up with the melody and words.

About 2 weeks then passed until my brother, who is a jazz pianist, came to visit. He brought with him his electric piano and we recorded a version of "Moonglow". I then decided to ask him to overdub parts on some tracks I was working on. We listened to a number of things and he was immediately taken by the UR backing track, he liked the slow harmonic progression; he then busied himself jamming away along to it. I made a backing loop about 20 minutes long and left him playing along to it. I had a cup of coffee, and then returned to the studio. He recorded a full 20min take, which was amazing and worth listening to on its own.

The next day I chopped Jon's keyboard part into suitable chunks and re-sequenced a backing track in much the order of the finished song only about 8mins long. I then recorded all the uke parts with my K-wave rock uke, using a Behringer B1 mic into a mic100 pre. To this I added a couple of guide vocals. I recorded several takes of the uke and played with different rhythms on each, these were compiled into 3 main uke tracks, with 2 extra looped tracks on the chorus section.

At this point I asked for help.

I made a short backing loop of the chorus and posted it to the "Uke Players of the World" forum asking for people to email in overdubs of their voices. The first to send anything in was Patsy Monteleone, who sent singing and himself saying revolutionary slogans, I was stunned, he is a ukulele legend and here I was listening to his brilliant vocal on my song!!!! I quickly put this into the track, on the section after the keyboard solo and on the final chorus, I was listening to myself duet with Patsy (wow). The next in was Ali Bee, who had never recorded herself before. She was naturally nervous, but her singing was great and synced in perfectly. The only thing was she used a headset mic to record and so her voice was obscured by what sounded like a jet aircraft revving it's engines. I cleaned this off and found her voice was a lot like Hester Goodman from the UOoGB (again wow).

Well, the contributions came in thick and fast. Jukkalele, from Sweden, sent in singing and spoken bits, he is responsible for all the "ukulele revolution" bits in different languages. Great vocals came in from VintageFL, Arch Larizza, Dave Parsons (sub-bass singer), Craig Robertson, Phil Doleman, Zathras and Jana. Craig also sent the slide guitar part and Phil some uke bits. I added everything in; all the singing to the end chorus and Phil's uke in the intro and end chorus. I chopped in Craig's slide guitar part and resisted the urge to have it all the way through the whole track. Craig is an awesome guitar player.

I then overdubbed triangle, shaker, slide whistle, tambourine and the main lead uke solo. In this session I finally recorded my main vocal and 3 part harmony. A few days later Jugs came round and added tabla. The final recording was Jodie my 12 year old, ukulele playing, niece who sang on the second chorus and through the final chorus, she did this in one take (more wow).

It then took about two weeks to make sense of the mix. I wanted everything to be heard and spent a lot of time cutting out little bits and playing around with the blend of voices. Everything was mixed in cubasesx and all the effects are all in software. I ended up keeping the synth bass, despite trying both samples and a real bass. I found the biggest issue was keeping the energy through the track; I used some compression and tape saturation effects on the master channel to help keep everything tight. I used a valve pre effect on most of the vocals which helps to warm them up and used a reverb send effect for all the vocals and ukes which helped them sit together well. The reverb was a simulation of Abbey Road studio B and gave lushness to the choir; I had to be careful not to add too much as this made everything mushy. I used a lot of automated mixing to highlight different singers and parts.

The final mix was mastered in wavlab; I used eq and compression to achieve the required sound and a spectrum analysis to help look for any rogue frequencies. The final master was normalised, dithered and rendered to mp3.

The whole EP thing was an after thought; I wanted to properly celebrate everyone's marvellous contributions (and show off my rock uke).

I want to say a big thanks to everyone for their help.

I do hope we can have more internet musical collaborations in the future.

Be seeing you,
Nipper

Below is a screen shot of the mix in cubase, you may be interested to see when the different parts are playing.